- Episode Written By : Kyla Freeman, FM-PGY3
- Episode Reviewed By : Jillian Gilroy, OBGYN-PGY3
- Hosts : Kyla Freeman PGY3, Patricia Massel MD-CCFP, Caitlen Blewett PGY1
- Art : Aikansha Chawla
In today’s episode we sloooow it right down and go back to basics to review “what is labour” and when is labour prolonged or arrested? We will review the stages of labour as well as how to recognize and manage prolonged or obstructed labour in the first or second stage. We will also very briefly talk about cesarean sections and assisted vaginal deliveries. We hope you enjoy!
- Ehsanipoor RM, Satin AJ. Labor: Diagnosis and management of an abnormal first stage. Eds. Berghella V, Barss VA. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/labor-diagnosis-and-management-of-an-abnormal-first-stage?search=labour%20dystocia&source=search_result&selectedTitle=2~150&usage_type=default&display_rank=2. Last updated February 16, 2022.
- Ehsanipoor RM, Satin AJ. Labor : Diagnosis and management of a prolonged second stage. Eds. Berghella V, Barss VA. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/labor-diagnosis-and-management-of-a-prolonged-second-stage?search=labour%20dystocia&source=search_result&selectedTitle=3~150&usage_type=default&display_rank=3. Last updated February 16, 2022
- Ehsanipoor RM, Satin AJ. Labor : Overview of normal and abnoral progression. Eds. Berghella V, Barss VA. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/labor-overview-of-normal-and-abnormal-progression?search=labour%20dystocia&source=search_result&selectedTitle=1~150&usage_type=default&display_rank=1. Last updated May 2, 2022.
- Grobman W. Induction of labor with oxytocin. Eds. Prabhu M, Barss VA. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/induction-of-labor-with-oxytocin?search=oxytocin%20triphasic§ionRank=1&usage_type=default&anchor=H2935540969&source=machineLearning&selectedTitle=1~146&display_rank=1#H7537379. Last updated October 17, 2022
- Hobson S, Cassell K, Windrim R, Cargill Y, Clinical Practice Obstetrics Committee. SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines No. 381-Assisted Vaginal Birth. J ObstetGynaecol Can. 2019;41(6):870-882. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jogc.2018.10.020
- Lee L, Dy J, Azzam H, Clinical Practice Obstetrics Committee. SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline : Management of spontaneous labour at term in healthy women. J ObstetGynaecol Can. 2016;38(9):843-865. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jogc.2016.04.093
- Muraca GM, Boutin A, Razaz N, Lisonkova S, John S, Ting JY, Scott H, Kramer MS, Joseph KS. Maternal and neonatal trauma following operative vaginal delivery. CMAJ. 2022;194(1):E1-E12. https://www.cmaj.ca/content/194/1/E1/tab-e-letters
- Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada [SOGC]. Chapter 4: Management of Labour. In: Course manual: Advances in labour and risk management. 27th ed. Canada. SOGC;2020-2021.
- Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada [SOGC]. Chapter 10: Assisted Vaginal Birth. In: Course manual: Advances in labour and risk management. 27th ed. Canada. SOGC;2020-2021.
- Wall L. Obstetric fistulas in resource-limited settings. Eds Brubaker L, Eckler K. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/obstetric-fistulas-in-resource-limited-settings?search=obstetric%20fistula&source=search_result&selectedTitle=1~9&usage_type=default&display_rank=1. Last updated July 7, 2022
- Wood SL, Tang S, Crawford S. Cesarean delivery in the second stage of labor and the risk of subsequent premature birth. Am J ObstetGynaecol. 2017;217(1):63.e1-63.e10. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0002937817304179